Dear Library Patrons,
We are happy to announce that we are reopening to the public on Monday, June 15, with limited hours and occupancy. Curbside will continue. Please visit our curbside page for details.
NEW: Cavalry Hill Public Library has reopened as of June 18.
Effective June 15, Phase Three of our reopening plan will go into effect:
- Limited occupancy (varies by branch). We ask that you limit your visit to one hour so everyone can be served.
- Patrons with overdue materials will begin accruing fines on July 6.
- Restructuring environment to make it as safe as possible for both staff and patrons, to include limited contact check outs and cleaning equipment between use.
- Gathering spaces remain closed.
- Grab bags will be available through curbside only.
- Public computers available on a first come, first served basis but will be limited to 45 minutes. We are also be limiting the number of computers available so patrons will be six feet apart.
- Patrons are encouraged to wear masks.
- Sanitation and quarantine of materials will continue.
- The 50 item check out limit will continue.
- We are still not hosting on-site programs and meetings at this time.
Please note: the Friends of the Library have not restarted operations and are not accepting book donations at this time.
About our safety practices:
- All employees will be equipped with PPE (personal protective equipment), including plexiglass shields at the customer service desks.
- All employees will use hand sanitizers and practice frequent hand washing.
- Daily temperature checks will be conducted before each work day.
About the safety of the materials:
- Upon check-in, outer material covers and bindings will be sanitized.
- Before materials are allowed to be checked out, they will be quarantined between users for 24 hours, which is the most recent recommended time frame given to us by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Because of this, wait times may be longer.
Open and curbside hours will operate:
- Monday - Saturday from 10:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. at Downtown, Madison, and Bailey Cove
- Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. at Monrovia, Murphy, Hazel Green, Triana, Cavalry Hill and Showers (no curbside service at Cavalry).
- Monday - Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Gurley and New Hope.
Digital Resources available:
e-books via our Digital Media Zone
Homework Alabama via tutor.com (and they have expanded their tutoring hours)
Learning Express- test preparation
e-books with Freading
Music with Freegal
List of electronic resources from Alabama Public Library Service
The library has purchased access to Hoopla for three months: Read e-books, watch television shows and movies! Must have your library card number and pin to register. Click here for instructions on how to reset your pin.
DOGOnews has fun articles for kids on current events, science, sports, and more! There are lots of stories, pictures, videos, quizzes, vocab games and you can listen to the stories in either English or Spanish. Read more about it here. To access DOGO, click here.
The HMCPL is committed to providing literacy activities to our youngest patrons and their parents. Our youth librarians will be recording storytimes and book talks while the library is unable to hold programs. Visit our YouTube channel for all of our videos.
Join us for our new Quarantined Librarian Virtual Book Club on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. Get a cup of coffee or tea and discuss your favorite comfort reads with Annie and Amanda. To join, visit this link: https://www.gotomeet.me/hmcpl/quarantined-librarian-book-club
The Library is hosting an online Excel class starting on June 16. To register, please email Anthony Hale, Technology Training Center Coordinator.